Tuesday, June 2, 2009

June 1, 2009 -- posted by Karen

Today was laundry day in a major way. On our holiday, we had dirtied almost every piece of clothing we own climbing around ancient buildings so we were in a rather desperate state. Until this past January there were no washing machines at all here at the guesthouse so I am grateful that we now have access to them. However, because of the low water pressure they take close to 2 hours to get through one cycle. And then you hang the wash up on the line and wait another two hours for it to dry. Considering that I had six loads to do (the capacity of these washers is pretty small), that basically took up my day.

We had planned to go and volunteer at the Ethiopian school and I was to teach my English class for the teachers, but I have developed laryngitis and am not able to talk above a whisper so I had to cancel. Instead we worked in the College library where it is completely acceptable to speak in a whisper! Abram and I often spend a few hours there shelving or sticking labels and bar codes on the new books they are processing. This is not something Abram particularly enjoys. Isaac, on the other hand loves volunteering in the library. He is in charge of sorting through the boxes of new books and piling them up in appropriate piles to prepare them for processing. I think he likes the structure and routine of the work. He doesn’t enjoy going to volunteer at the Ethiopian school because you never know what you will be doing or whether you will suddenly be in charge of teaching a class.

No comments:

Post a Comment