I am discovering that there are many things about the pace of life out here in Ethiopia that agree with me. It’s a very interesting feeling to live without the pressure of deadlines and the stresses of a professional role for a period of time. Life is much simpler and less complicated here. I’ve hardly had a headache since we arrived and typically I go through bottles of Ibuprofen at a fairly rapid rate. I suspect the challenge will be incorporating aspects of the experience “out here” into life “back there”. Not sure how to do that or if, in fact, it is possible.
The kids and I went grocery shopping this morning with Dianne. It’s always a fairly prolonged experience as we visit four or five different shops, seeing what each has for sale that day. Some days no one has eggs. Yesterday no one had bananas. Every shopping experience is different and so you go with a spirit of flexibility to discover what you will actually end up being able to buy.
We are really beginning to focus our energies on completing the requirements the kids have for their school work as well as moving some big projects forward in the College library. However, things will be somewhat disrupted for the next few days as we make a day trip to Soderey tomorrow, have College graduation on Saturday and go into Addis for a wedding reception on Sunday. Mike leaves on Sunday for the States and both Carl and Vera and Lois and Ernie leave a few days later to head back to North American for summer. Change is in the air.
Friday, June 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment